an opensource B
BSPG is a complete multilingual Balanced Scorecard environment comparable (and probably superior) to many similar softwares for measurement-based management: it is based on my personal experience in the implementation of this kind of software for two companies in the past year.
What is a balanced scorecard, in short:
a management tool that allows a strategic vision of a company, through the setting of its long or medium term objectives in the marketplace, and the measurement of the performances of each element of the company, from the top level to offices, departments, market units, and down to human resources.
More information about balanced scorecards can be found here: http://www.balancedscorecard.org/
- no structural limit on the detailement level of analysis, because of a
complete flexibility in the dynamic creation of new nodes in the company organization chart
- management and customizability of the company Objectives, Measures, Data types, Perspectives, Organization chart, Themes, User's capabilities, Targets and Tolerance settings for each Measure in each Objective...
- many reports and graphics: by level, by objectives, by date, cumulative..
- Drill-down analysis by level and by objective
- Strategy map, and management of local objectives
- complete administration menu, with Scorecards validation, Offline reports creation, Measure recomputations and its scheduling, User's log, Calculation's log, export in XML following BSCol Functional Standards v1.0a (http://www.bscol.com/)
- two languages always online: a local and an international one (useful eg. for multinational corporations). At present there are 3 versions available: english, italian, croatian: but the whole application is fully translatable with no change.
Comparings with existing commercial solutions
(between [ ] the BSPG case)
(there's no other OpenSource BS, in my knowledge)
CASE 1: from Corvu Rapid Scorecard quick-list of features:
CASE 2: from Peoplesoft Enterprise Scorecard demo
- Web-based data capture
[not fully implemented: in my own practical experience with BS, a really automated data capture is always too rigid, and you need some manual fixings anyway]
- Cascading Scorecards
- Support for unlimited companies, business units and departments
[yes: and the same for HR, not specified by Corvu]
- Unlimited perspectives, objectives, initiatives and measures
- Intelligent update notification
[not implemented: can be managed by a human administrator]
- Full user security and component ownership
(note first of all that they have many different BS products, one for each type of level in the company's organization chart)
- BSC displays key performance indicator (KPI) information both in grid form and as easy-to-use graphics.
- By helping you identify KPI exceptions (potential problem areas), BSC enables you to act upon that information: you can select a particular KPI such as Volume Growth Rate to drill down and view in more detail.
- For a particular KPI, detailed information includes historical information in both graphic and grid format, including a full view of how this KPI supports overall corporate strategy.
- You can access video, voice, reports, or any file accessible with a URL from the KPI Reports option/ add comments;
[not yet implemented, but already in the to-do list]
- You can also generate cause-and-effect relationships and assessment overrides.
- If you are an executive responsible for multiple divisions, departments, or teams, it can be helpful to compare the results of each group.
- BSC enables you to record overall corporate goals as defined by your executive teams for a consistent message.
- BSC enables you to visually map strategy (goals and perspectives) in a flexible, easy-to-understand format.
[yes: the Strategy map]
- Critical success factors identified in the strategy maps are organized within perspectives in your PeopleSoft Balanced Scorecard.
[yes: the Drill-down Analysis]
- Assessments, based on the performance of the underlying key performance indicators, are displayed via user-defined symbols.
[yes: at present the visualization of the performances is limited to Measures, not Objectives, because Targets always refers to the first one; an approximative indication of the Objective performance (that comprises a set of measure) is alreadyin the to-do list]
The graphical engine is based on slightly modified versions of old JpGraph classes
(when they were full GPL);
~150 PHP scripts, more than 1Mb of source code
~200 pgplsql functions
more than 600 hours of work